Precast Box Culverts are ideal for situations where depth or height restrictions demand wide, shallow conduits to handle required flows, as well as:
- Installations where circular or elliptical concrete pipe cannot provide adequate flow capacity
- As a superior substitute for cast-in-place box culverts, long-span metal arches, short bridges and multibarrel circular culverts or drains
Precast Box Culverts can be used for the following:
- Highway culverts
- Railroad culverts
- Short-span highway bridges
- Storm drains
- Extension of existing box culverts
- Livestock, pedestrian or golf cart undercrossings
- Utility tunnels
- Underground stormwater retention systems
- Groundwater recharge systems
- To replace existing open channels or ditches, enabling land to be used productively
- Jacked or tunneled installations
Precast Box Culverts are normally available in spans of 900mm through 6100mm, with a variety of rises. Contact your local Forterra representative for specifics.
Precast headwalls, wingwalls, cut-off walls, and parapets are available for all sizes.
- OPSS 1821 — Ontario Provincial Standard Specification 1821, material specification for precast reinforced concrete box culverts and box sewers.
- Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code – CSA S6-06
- MTO and MTQ