Reinforced Concrete Cylinder Pipe (AWWA C300)
Prior to the early 1940s and the introduction of C301, Reinforced Concrete Cylinder Pipe (RCCP) was the most commonly used Concrete Pressure Pipe in the United States and Canada. RCCP (C300) is manufactured in accordance with the AWWA C300 Standard and is designed in accordance with the AWWA Manual M9.
C300 pipe is manufactured using a welded steel cylinder welded to steel joint rings and mild steel reinforcing cage(s). The steel cylinder and cage assembly is encased in cement rich concrete using a vertical cast process. The concrete encasement creates a passivating alkaline environment that protects the steel components from corrosion for the life of the product.
- Designed for Project Requirements – RCCP (C300) is custom-designed and made for every application. Each section of pipe, along with each fitting can be made to meet the pressure loadings and special configuration required.
- Ease of Installation – RCCP is installed in less time on site due to its rigid conduit design attribute. RCCP needs no special bedding or backfilling under normal ground conditions.
- Corrosion Protection – RCCP provides built-in corrosion protection due to its unique design, combining the steel components encasement in concrete. The cement rich concrete encasement chemically protects (passivates) all steel elements from corrosion.
- High Pressure Capacity – RCCP (C300), designed as a rigid pipe, is manufactured to handle typical municipal transmission pressures and loads. However higher pressure capacities are available (in surplus of 2760kPa, or 400psi) if project requirements warrant. Maximum loads and pressures depend on pipe diameter, wall thickness and steel/cage reinforcement.
Typical C300 Applications
- Sanitary forcemains and trunk gravity pipelines
- Water: Single-pass tunnel applications (ie: Microtunnel)
- Inverted Siphons
- Vertical Shaft/MH/Chamber piping walls
- Chlorine Contact Tanks
- Detention (underground) tanks
- Water and/or Wastewater Intakes / Outfalls (Subaqueous pipelines)
- Treatment facility – yard piping
- Cooling water system pipelines
- Power and Industrial plant piping