Reinforced Concrete Non-Cylinder Pipe (AWWA C302)
Related Case Studies
Find A Rep
Introduced in the early 1900s, Reinforced Concrete Non-Cylinder pipe (RCNP) is suitable for working pressures up to 380kPa (55psi). Reinforced Concrete Non-Cylinder pipe (C302) is manufactured in accordance with the AWWA C302 standard and is designed in accordance with the AWWA Manual M9.
C302 pipe is manufactured using one or more reinforcing cages (depending on diameter and depth of bury) and steel joint rings complete with steel skirts. The steel cage(s) assembly is encased in cement rich concrete using a vertical cast process. The concrete encasement creates a passivating alkaline environment that protects the steel components from corrosion for the life of the product.
Size: In diameters from 900mm to 3600mm in std lengths of 4.877m or 6.096m
- Zero Infiltration/Exfiltration – RCNP (C302) is manufactured utilizing the same "Carnegie" zinc-metalized joint rings as our high pressure pipes, significantly reducing the risk of exfiltration in environmentally sensitive areas and ground water and/or silt infiltration (which eliminates the need to oversize the downstream pipelines and/or the treatment facilities).
- Ease of Installation – RCNP is installed in less time on site due to its rigid conduit design attribute. RCNP needs no special bedding or backfilling under normal ground conditions. Also, C302 is provided in longer standard lengths (6.1 to 4.9m, diameter dependent) to reduce the number of joints in the pipeline.
- Hydraulics – RCNP (C302) is manufactured using a vertical wetcast process which provides a uniformly smooth interior surface providing a Manning's "n" of 0.009 to 0.011 when making hydraulic design calculations. Also, for maximum sustained flow characteristics, a conservative Hazen-Williams "C" value of 140 is used.
- Corrosion Protection – RCNP provides built-in corrosion protection due to its design, combining the steel components encasement in concrete. The cement rich concrete encasement chemically protects (passivates) all steel elements from corrosion.
Typical C302 Applications
- Sanitary forcemains and trunk gravity pipelines
- Wastewater: Single-pass tunnel applications (ie: Microtunnel)
- WW Treatment and Pollution Control Plants
- Inverted Siphons
- Vertical MH piping or Shaft piping
- Detention (underground) tanks
- Water and/or Wastewater Intakes / Outfalls (Subaqueous pipelines)
- Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO)
- Irrigation pipelines
- Reinforced Concrete Cylinder Pipe (AWWA C-300)