Precast Box Culverts
Precast Box Culverts are ideal for situations where depth or height restrictions demand wide, shallow conduits to handle required flows, as well as:
- Installations where circular or elliptical concrete pipe cannot provide adequate flow capacity
- As a superior substitute for cast-in-place box culverts, long-span metal arches, short bridges and multibarrel circular culverts or drains
Precast Box Culverts can be used for the following:
- Highway culverts
- Railroad culverts
- Short-span highway bridges
- Storm drains
- Extension of existing box culverts
- Livestock, pedestrian or golf cart undercrossings
- Utility tunnels
- Underground stormwater retention systems
- Groundwater recharge systems
- To replace existing open channels or ditches, enabling land to be used productively
- Jacked or tunneled installations
Precast Box Culverts are normally available in spans of 3 feet through 12 feet, with a variety of rises. Some markets produce spans to 20 feet. Contact your local Forterra representative for specifics.
A variety of linings and coatings are available as dictated by project conditions.
Precast headwalls and wingwalls are available for most sizes.
- ASTM C1433 — Precast Reinforced Concrete Box Sections for Culverts, Storm Drains and Sewers
- State DOTs
- ASTM C1577 — Precast Reinforced concrete Monolithic Box Sections for Culverts, Storm Drains, and Sewers Designed According to AASHTO LRFD
- AASHTO M273 — Precast Reinforced Concrete Box Sections for Culverts, Storm Drains, and Sewers with Less Than Two Feet of Cover Subjected to Highway Loadings
- AASHTO M259 — Precast Reinforced Concrete Box Sections for Culverts, Storm Drains and Sewers