Bar-Wrapped Concrete Cylinder Pipe (AWWA C303)
Forterra's Bar-Wrapped Cylinder Concrete Pipe combines the strength of steel with the corrosion resistance and durability of concrete. Bar-wrapped concrete cylinder pipe is manufactured in accordance with AWWA C303 standard and is designed in accordance with AWWA Manual M9.
C303 pipe is manufactured using welded steel cylinder with sized, welded steel joint rings attached. The pipe interior is lined with centrifugally applied mortar or concrete lining. A steel bar is helically wound tightly around the outside of the cylinder and securely welded to the steel joint rings. A coating of cement-rich dense mortar is applied to the cylinder and bar wrap. The mortar coating on the pipe creates a passivating alkaline environment that protects the steel cylinder, joint rings and bar from corrosion.
Size: In diameters from 400mm to 1500mm in std lengths of 7.315m
In addition to reliable performance, C303 pipe offers system owners several benefits including: cost efficiency in terms of materials, handling, and installation. A major feature of C303 pipe is its lighter weight, which offers the advantage of easier tunnel installations. C303 also offers rugged durability, minimal maintenance, and long service life—that all adds up to excellent value for your pipeline investment.
C303 pipe is considered to be a modified version of mortar-lined and mortar-coated steel pipe with the exception that C303 provides superior mortar coating bonding and corrosion resistance qualities.
- Ease of Installation & Economical – C303 pipe is installed in less time on site. Because it is a semi-rigid conduit, C303 requires less stringent bedding and/or backfilling under normal ground conditions than other watermain pipe materials.
- Designed for Project Requirements – C303 is custom-designed and made for every application. Each section of pipe, along with each fitting, can be made to meet the pressure loadings and special configuration required.
- Corrosion Protection – C303 provides built-in corrosion protection. Due to its design combining a steel cylinder lined with concrete and its integrated steel bar/cement mortar coating, C303 is chemically protected from corrosion, passivating all steel elements.
Typical C303 Applications
- Transmission/Feedermain (Open-cut and Tunnel)
- Distribution pipelines
- Treatment facility – yard and/or process piping
- Water and/or Wastewater Intakes / Outfalls (Subaqueous pipelines)
- Sanitary forcemains and trunk gravity lines
- Cooling water system pipelines
- Power and Industrial plant piping